Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Stacked Deck For Summer Living

The unofficial start of summer is rapidly approaching. Although the summer solstice is not until June 20th, everyone knows that summer really begins this Friday when throngs of people make their way to our two area lakes. I'm not a real fan of summer - give me 12 inches of snow any day - but there are some things I enjoy about summer like gardening (actually, more like eating the fruits of our labor) and sitting out on the deck enjoying an adult beverage watching the wild life. So, in preparation of summer, I have been adding some things to the deck with mostly thrifted finds.



You might remember the chair from a post I did last fall. Since late last summer, I have been looking for a mate at a reasonable price. I haven't ever found an exact match but I did find this fabulous lounge chair at the Edmonson Trading Post earlier this month for, wait for it, $10.


When I pulled up, it was sitting out front in all it's mid century glory. I couldn't get out of my truck fast enough to get to it to grab the tag. I almost didn't care how much it was priced - I knew I had to have it. I squealed with delight when I did see the price, though. Although the cushions are not the same pattern as the chair, I think they coordinate quite nicely and they are in near perfect condition. I don't know for sure who manufactured this but the back wheels say "The Bunting Co. Phila, Pa" on them.  Good ole USA!


Between the two chairs, I put a vintage wire plant stand I picked up for $5 at Penn Street Square in St. Joseph last summer. On it, I have arranged my collection of amber gold Haeger pottery - I'm up to 14 pieces. Well, actually 15 but my duck planter is in two pieces and I haven't glued it back together yet. Most of these cost me $1 or less - garage sales, you gotta love them!



Another addition to the deck is this vintage wire plant stand/magazine rack. I bought it last fall for $10 at one of my favorite antique stores, The Big Brown Dog, which, sadly, is now closed.  It coordinates with the other plant stand but I really wasn't thinking about what I was going to do with the two lower shelves as I don't generally leave magazines outside. It is sporting some newer planters and one vintage Haeger planter which is in front on top. I added a couple of more succulents to my collection, too. And, I discovered a new magazine, Atomic Ranch, on a blog last week (and for the life of me, I can't remember which) and promptly ordered all the back issues I could and a subscription, of course. Although my house was not built in the 50's, it is a ranch and I am absorbing all the cool information and photographs this magazine provides. Here's the latest issue:



This issue is of particular interest to me as it has an article about a neighborhood in the suburbs of St. Louis, Ladue Estates, that is true mid century ranch houses from the 50's. As an aside, I am certain I spent the weekend in one of these homes with my college friend in the 80's. I don't think I appreciated its aesthetic then as much as I would now - I would love to go through all those houses today! Anyway, if you haven't checked out Atomic Ranch, I definitely recommend it.

So, what are you doing to prepare for summer? Do you have any "new" vintage items you are using on your porch, patio, or deck? I am sure whatever you're doing, it is all decked out!


1 comment: